Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"We all make our choices, but in the end it's our choices that make us."

Thank you everyone that is reading this post and my last two posts as well. I am really enjoying reading the comments and knowing that what I'm saying can help people. Awhile back, before I started doing Blogger, I had a question that really bit at me over and over again: "Why would God want or even love someone like me?"
I, like many young Christians, was taught from a young age that Jesus loves me. However, this was something that I trusted to be true because I was told so by my parents. God's love was something that I know I was told to be true, not something I really had experienced before. When I went to school, for an entire year I felt unloved and unwanted because I had no friends and everyone hated me for reasons I still don't know why. Obviously, I've let go of this since then, but this made me wonder why a God that I couldn't see could love me when my fellow people that I could see just hated me.
I did some research because I don't want to believe what I believe just because someone told me to believe it. I want to believe what I believe because I know it's true.
I read a book that directed me to Jeremiah 1:4-5. It says, "The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.'" I know that a lot of people have probably heard this before a thousand times like I have. I didn't really think about it though. God didn't just know us after we were born, HE KNEW US BEFORE WE EVEN EXISTED!
This verse doesn't just refer to Jeremiah's life, but to ours as well because that same book directed me to another verse: Ephesians 2:10. In this verse, we are told that we have been made "to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." This tells us that God didn't just know us before we were born; He planned each of us for a particular purpose. We can choose not to follow that purpose though because God does not make us do anything. He allows us to make our own choices.
No one should look at God as someone that forces you to love Him, but as someone that tries to steer us in the best direction, like a good father does to his son. However, just as it is on earth with your earthly father, the choice of what you do in life is ultimately yours alone and your Heavenly Father cannot make you choices for you. He, like your earthly father, attempts to teach you what is best for you. However, while your earthly father's instructions can be wrong, God, being all-seeing and omniscient, has given us instructions that have no flaws. He could have just left us alone and given us no instructions, but He has given us the Bible, a book with all of His teachings and instructions in it. God cannot make your choices for you, you must choose to read the Bible if you want to try to live your life in the most beneficial way to you and to God. The person you are now will determine the person you will be in the future. I heard a quote from a friend of mine that I will always remember and that I hope you remember too:
"We all make our choices, but in the end it's our choices that make us."
There's a reason that a choice is called a choice: No one always makes the right one.
Remember, God will always love you no matter what choices you make.

No comments:

About Me

My name is Tom. I am not perfect and have made my share of mistakes just like everyone else in this world. I have been a Christian my whole life and am the oldest of 8. The reason that I chose the title that I did is because I know it takes strength to face the world and keep your head held high. This strength usually goes unnoticed by the people you talk to or pass by. I made this blog so that people like me can understand that they're not alone and that other people struggle just like you do.